Wednesday 21 January 2009

PHAT KNITS! THINKING BIG!

I have been thinking BIG as well as small.

I have been thinking of scale and how this could work if I used Knots and kitted within objects made from video tape.
I have come across these artist and designers who have managed to create giant Knits:


Sebastian Schönheit, a design student at the Bauhaus Universty Weimar Germany.
One of his projects is the knitted carpet, his oversized knit work looks as if it could have come from a different. This is a hand knitted carpet, it represents what it is but also it represents the processes of work as a preforming act.
His intentions are to create a product identity creating a reference to material and hand craft tradition.
I an inspired by the simplicity of the end result and how much impact that scale and performance makes it what it is just by a few images.
I could imagine this just how it would be as a live exhibition performance.



www.sebastianschoenheit.de

Bauke Knottnersus is an artist from the Netherlands.
His approaches to design is on a macro level using large threads to create large scale woven objects.
The objects can be arranged in anyway which suites, the giant threads can be knit, woven or simply piled to a variety interior products.
I think that they are Brilliant it reminds me of the film "Honey I shrunk the kids" or "The Borrowers"

http://baukeknottnerus.nl/

No comments: