Sunday 19 July 2009

Home Made

Home-Made Contemporary Russian Folk Artefacts

I have had this book for a long while now, it is one of my treasured books.

I thought that this book was highly appropriate with my current way of working and final outcomes for tools and reasons behind the need for them.
I have wrote about this book before in my research and reflection part of my MA, and for me it is increasingly becoming more aware to me just how important this book is.

It is an interesting book that contains highlights from Russian artist Vladimir Arkhipov's collection of unique artefacts. All the objects in this book are made by ordinary people from Russia who were inspired by the immediate lack of immediate access to manufactured goods during the collapse of the soviet union.
It is an archive of hundreds and hundreds of objects with mainly an idealistic functional qualities . Objects for both the inside and outside of the home.

I treasure this book and believe it has been beautifully made to archive all 220 individual artefacts that represent the soviet culture. Every piece has a photograph and a description of what it is and who has made it and why.

This type of documentation is descriptive and educational, telling the story of why, what and how.

Vasilii Arkhipov

On the front cover of the book shows a Television aerial. Made according to the dimensions of a television aerial found in a radio magazine. Made by using folks found in a mothers cupboard, reverts, aluminium pole, ventilator base and a screw connection. "Everyone particularly wanted to watch the programs from Petersburg"



Nastya Voronova

Made this lamp shade out of a hat, a dress and some thread, so that she could dim the light for her new baby daughter, as the light was far to bright. " Asya doesn't screw her eyes up any more"


Vladimir Antipov

A Street cleaners Shovel, made from a old road sign, rivets and a wooden handle. "They used to give us bloody useless spades so I decided to make one myself."


Alesksandr Chebotaryov

A toy locomotive, made from a beer can, tea tin, coaster, film canisters, bottle tops, wood, ruler, and drinking straws. It was made to occupy Mitka who was playing up and had pneumonia, the makeshift toy was to distract him. " I deliberately made it slowly, and we finished it off in about a week."

No comments: